Providing learner accessibility and active participation
Complying with current legislation and recommendations
Section 508 | WCAG2.0 | EN 301 549 | Equality Act 2010
As of January 2018 Section 508 is now mandatory.
Section 508 (United States Workforce Rehabilitation Act of 1973), is a federal law mandating that all electronic and information technology developed, procured, maintained, or used by the federal agencies be accessible to people with disabilities.
Section 504 applies if the organization receives federal funding or assistance.
Functional Performance Criteria
Be usable with limited vision and without vision or colour perception
- Limited vision: Some users will need features that enable them to make better use of their limited vision
- Without vision: Some users need least one mode of operation that does not require vision
Be usable with limited hearing and without hearing
- Some users need at least one mode of operation that does not require hearing
Be usable with limited reach and strength and without fine motor control or simultaneous manual operations
- Some users will need features that enable them to make use of the ICT through alternative actions not requiring manipulation or hand strength
Have features making its use simpler and easier for people with limited cognitive, language, and learning abilities
- Some users will need features that make it simpler and easier to use
- Keyboard accessibility
- Colour overlays
- Screen reader compatible
- alt text
- tab content and order
- Closed captions
- Descriptive audio narrative
- Full text equivalent